Two years imprisonment for man who assaulted Kent Police detective at Medway Police Station

two years imprisonment for man who assaulted kent police detective at medway police station
two years imprisonment for man who assaulted kent police detective at medway police station

An unprovoked assault on a Kent Police detective by a man who had just been released from custody has resulted in a two year prison sentence being imposed.

Samuel Tesefay repeatedly punched and kicked the detective constable outside Medway Police Station while they were attempting to assist him in May 2019.

Two Years Imprisonment For Man Who Assaulted Kent Police Detective At Medway Police Station

The 28-year-old, of Thicket Road, Crystal Palace, admitted one count of assault, occasioning actual bodily harm, and was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday 22 November 2019.

The court heard that on 10 May Tesefay was released from custody after he was arrested for an unrelated offence however his laptop and mobile phone were seized to allow an investigation to continue.

The offender asked to be provided with some contact numbers from his phone and the detective, the victim of the assault, agreed to meet him at the front counter to hand over the details requested.

Upon meeting him at the front counter, Tesefay became agitated that he could not have his possessions back and, due to other members of the public being present, the officer took him outside so they could speak privately.

Once outside, Tesefay repeatedly punched the officer in the head and kicked her in the back while she was attempting to get away from him.

Officers in the station’s service yard heard the disturbance and quickly ran to provide support.

Tesefay attempted to run away but was promptly found hiding in nearby bushes and was arrested on suspicion of assault. He was charged the next day and has been remanded in custody since.

As a result of the assault, the officer sustained multiple facial injuries including a fractured cheekbone.

Police Constable Amy Edwards, Kent Police’s investigating officer, said: ‘Tesefay subjected an officer to a completely unprovoked attack.

‘Despite his claims that he was acting in self-defence, CCTV clearly shows him initiating the assault and chasing after the officer to cause further harm.

‘While every police officer accepts they will at times be exposed to volatile incidents, it is unacceptable for anyone to be attacked while they are doing their job.’