Home » Court » Bogus taxi driver jailed for Maidstone rape
Breaking Court Gravesend KENT Maidstone

Bogus taxi driver jailed for Maidstone rape

bogus taxi driver jailed for maidstone rape
bogus taxi driver jailed for maidstone rape

A bogus taxi driver from Gravesend who lured a woman into his car before raping her in her own home has been sentenced to nine years in prison.

Idris Ibra was jailed at Woolwich Crown Court after he admitted targeting the victim as she was making her way home following a night out in Maidstone. The victim had booked a taxi from Maidstone town centre, during the early hours of 28 July 2019. As she was waiting for the car, Ibra appeared and made her believe he was her driver. He led her to his vehicle and after taking her home, followed the victim inside and raped her.

After Ibra left the victim immediately called police, reporting in her confusion the genuine taxi driver she ordered was responsible. An investigation quickly established the offender was someone else. CCTV footage was identified of a car leaving Maidstone with the victim inside. The vehicle was traced to Ibra and he was arrested on 29 July.

During police interview Ibra claimed he had been in a relationship with the victim for almost three months, although he couldn’t provide her name. He denied raping her, adding the allegations were a result of him being blackmailed by the victim for money. Detectives pieced together events leading up to the rape which provided irrefutable evidence none of Ibra’s claims were true. The victim had been randomly targeted and was completely unknown to him.

Ibra, aged 20, of Perry Street, Gravesend was charged with rape and pleaded guilty at Woolwich Crown Court. On Tuesday 31 March 2020 Judge Philip Shorrock sentenced him as a dangerous offender, stating ‘you plainly did not care about your actions upon her’. Ibra will have to serve a minimum of six years before he can be considered for parole and will then have an extended licence of three years. He was also added to sex offenders’ register, for life.

Detective Sergeant Alastair Worton of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: ‘Ibra deceived the victim by allowing her to believe he was the genuine taxi driver waiting to take her home safely. After the journey he then raped the victim, leaving her in a state of considerable mental and physical distress and under the false impression that the offender was the genuine taxi driver she had booked.

‘Throughout this investigation Ibra has demonstrated his callous and devious nature, by spinning a web of lies about a false relationship with the woman in an attempt to justify his actions, discredit her character and avoid any blame. His guilty plea is testament not only to the tremendous strength and courage shown by the victim, who never wavered in her determination to support a prosecution, but also to the overwhelming evidence gathered by our detectives which left Ibra with no choice but to finally confess to his despicable actions in court.’