It was reported that the victim, a woman in her seventies, was shopping in Aldi in King’s Road, at around 3.30pm on Monday 7 December 2020 when a man approached and spoke to her.
When the victim went to pay for her shopping, she realised her purse, which contained cash and cards, had been stolen.
One of the cards was later reportedly used to withdraw a quantity of cash from the victim’s account.
Anyone with information is asked to call Kent Police on 01843 222289, quoting reference 46/216910/20. You can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or complete the online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
In the run-up to Christmas, officers are urging people to take steps to protect their belongings while out shopping.
- If you’re carrying a handbag, keep it zipped up and on your arm or shoulder. Keep the zip pull in front of you so you can see it.
- Never leave your purse, wallet or bag unattended.
- Try not to carry excessive amounts of cash on you.
- Where possible, keep wallets and purses in an inside pocket.
- If you are withdrawing money from a cash machine, be aware of who is around you.
- If you see anything you believe to be suspicious call us on 101, or 999 if a crime is in progress.