Two fire engines and a height vehicle were sent to the house in Selby Road and crews extinguished the flames using hose reel jets and chimney gear, before checking for any remaining hot spots.
No casualties were reported.
It’s believed the fire accidentally started due to a build-up of soot and tar inside the chimney – prompting the reminder for people with fireplaces, log burners and coal fires to have their chimneys swept regularly.
By having your chimney and flue swept and inspected routinely, you can help to prevent a chimney fire and structural damage to your property. If you burn logs, you should have this done at least twice a year. If you burn coal, you should have this done at least once a year.