- Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a chimney fire on Marlowe Road in Margate. One fire engine was in attendance and crews used chimney gear to extinguish the flames, which were issuing from the top of the chimney on arrival.
No casualties were reported, and the cause is believed to be accidental due to a build up of soot. Following the incident, firefighters are reminding the public to get all chimneys cleaned and inspected to ensure it’s free from debris and in good working order.
As the weather starts to cool down, you might be thinking of lighting your open fire, wood burning stove or other ‘real flame’ appliance and using your chimney again but firefighters advise you to ensure they are properly maintained and swept regularly to reduce the risk of a fire.