Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a fire at a house on East Rochester Way in Sidcup.
The family were alerted to a fire in their kitchen by their smoke alarm sounding. The two adults and three children did exactly the right thing and got out, stayed out and called 999.
Most of the ground floor of the house was damaged by the fire and a single storey extension was completely destroyed.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire and rescued a cat and a dog from the property. Both pets appeared to have suffered no ill effects from the fire.
London Fire Brigade spokesperson said:
“Working smoke alarms alerted the family and allowed them to get out quickly without injured. Homes need multiple smoke alarms or you won’t be properly covered. Ideal spots for smoke alarms include rooms where you leave electrical equipment running like satellite boxes, computers or heaters; any room where you smoke, and anywhere you charge your mobile or laptop, except kitchens or bathrooms where heat alarms are more appropriate.””
The Brigade was called at 10.43pm and the fire was under control by 12.18am. Fire crews from Plumstead, Bexley and Eltham fire stations attended the incident.
The cause of the fire is believed to be a tumble dryer. It has been sent off for further testing.