Breaking KENT Northfleet

Teenager jailed for Northfleet stabbing



An 18-year-old man has been jailed for more than nine years following a dispute over a faulty motorbike which saw a teenage boy stabbed in Northfleet.


Monsur Ali was sentenced to nine years and nine months in jail after admitting grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a knife in a public place.


His brother, Dilwar Hussain, 25, was handed a 12-month sentence, suspended for two years, after admitting affray.


The brothers, both of Nelson Road, Northfleet, were sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on Thursday 5 May 2022.


The court heard how, at 5pm on Sunday 4 July 2021, Kent Police was called to Haynes Road following reports of a disturbance.


Upon arrival, a 17-year-old boy was found with a stab wound and was airlifted to hospital for medical attention.


Around an hour later, Ali and Hussain were detained in a blue Vauxhall Astra travelling on Old Road West, Gravesend. The vehicle matched the description of a car seen speeding away from the earlier incident.


The arresting officers found Hussain had traces of blood on his face while Ali had a cut to his hand.


An investigation by detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate identified that, prior to the incident, three people had visited the brother’s home address.


They were heard shouting and banging on the door demanding the return of money paid to Ali for a motorbike they said was faulty. Ali did not answer and, after the group left, he went to look for them accompanied by his brother.


The pair tracked them down and, during the subsequent altercation, Ali stabbed the victim.


Detective Inspector Ross Gurden, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: ‘This was a shocking incident which took place in daylight hours and caused considerable concern to residents who witnessed it.


‘Rather than call Kent Police following the dispute over the bike, Ali and Hussain decided to take the matter into their own hands. Their reckless actions led to a serious injury for their victim and Ali is now facing a lengthy prison sentence